Monday, October 2, 2017

Texas State Fair with Toddlers

I like, really love the fair.  I'm not even sure why... I'm not super big on fried food... I don't like riding rides that make me want to puke... and I suck at carnival games.  But there's just something about walking around the fair that I adore.  So - we try and go every year.

The past few years it was just survival.  I was usually pregnant, hot, and annoyed... until last year when we had two under two and all I cared about was keeping dirty things out of their mouths.  

This year?  This year was a little more fun.

We like to get there right when everything opens in order to have a corn dog for breakfast.  Fletcher's.  No substitutions.  The mister put mustard on the top half, ate it, and then split the rest of it between the three of us.  

After that, we really just do a lot of walking around.  We went over to the Kid's Boardwalk area for a little bit... listened to Mother Goose sing some songs... and the girls got to go color on a big community coloring wall.  Evelyn was excited for the pink marker.  Olivia still had a mouth full of corn dog.


We went over to the Midway to ride some rides... and let me tell you... that part was a beat down.  I was excited to see how excited my 3 year old was about the rides, until we realized that she couldn't ride most of them... even the ones geared towards little kids.  We found one ride that she was tall enough for, and as long as I went on the ride with her - the little one was tall enough too!  But - warning - they charge the tickets per head.  So it was probably the most expensive 90 seconds we've experienced for a while... 


After the rides we went and got some lunch.  While I do get excited seeing what wins each year, I'm rarely excited about trying it...  we got the kids some mac and cheese and Brandon and I split a chicken salad sandwich.  (although later in the day we DID get a fried s'more...)


The part of the fair that the girls were most excited about were the animals.  We spent a good amount of time watching & feeding different animals.  (Pro Tip - nobody ever uses all of their food!  We had about 3 different people give us our leftovers!)  I think Evelyn was most excited about the baby pigs, and Olivia loved the giraffe.

We did our regular amount of random shopping... lots and lots of walking... and since we went SO early this year, we're already talking about perhaps making one more trip back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS